Sunday Letter

Istanbul

Is it possible for actions to be as effective as words? I doubt it. Then why do we always long for the other people to understand us through our actions, so miserably? Why do we hide behind our smiles, although we know that most of the time they only overshadow the pain? 
We love, we hate, we forgive, we forget, and we will be forgotten. We only exist in the minds of those we make contact with, that's why it cannot be argued that there's only one of each of us. Our desires, our looks, the way we think and the way we act differs from perception to perception. To live is to be observed, perceived, and understood (misunderstood as well) by our fellow beings. And there is a different me for all those whom I have a stand in their mind. For each and every person that knows me, I will be dead the day they forget me. Until then, parts of me will continue to live with them, the parts that only they saw in me. That's why we are all so unique, but there are also many of us.
And for me, the most interesting part is that, although we go through a lot of change in ourselves and we are aware of this process, we are so prone to stick with the image that we have in our heads when it comes to the other people. As Camus once wrote, "Just as dogs don't change character, men are dogs to one another." So is it possible to say that we die everytime we undergo a change? At least it is obvious that we can not claim that we are who we are thought to be, that's just deceiving. Then who are we? And when are we alive, anyway? 



Post a Comment

NEW
© as ayse as it gets. Design by Fearne.